For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. - 2 Corinthians 4:6-7

Sunday, June 19, 2011

For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these Children

Well I made it safely to Lira, Uganda! :) After a 20 hour flight and a 6 hour bus ride we made it here a little over a week ago. Everything went so smoothly. I have to say, looking back now it's funny that I had so much anxiety about the process of getting here.  Actually I was thinking on the way to our hotel that it's funny that I had anxiety about this trip at all. God is good, and He is always faithful and He keeps revealing that to me over and over again.

I love this country. Ever since I entered, I have never felt more welcomed or more like a celebrity. haha There is not one person that passes by that doesn't smile or wave, little children even squel when they see us. It's such a contrast to American culture where people are skeptical of strangers, and unwelcoming of accepting the help they need. As I look out the window from this internet cafe I just feel such peace. Uganda is refreshing. The people are so full of joy, love, and laughter. They are so accepting of everyone, people are not critical of each other here and throughly enjoy each others company.

Love radiates in Uganda even in the mist of devastating loss and abandonment.

Since I've been in Lira, I have had the opportunity to teach at a primary school here, and at a school that is run by the Compassion Int. organization. The first day I was put into a classroom of about 50, 9-11 year olds and told to teach. Needless to say I didn't have anything prepared, because I just found out I was doing this 5 minutes before. haha So I told the story of David and Goliah, and then drew some pictures, because I wasn't sure they understood my english too well. The kids thought this was hilarious. So I'm guessing they either really enjoyed my stick figures or were laughing at me. Either way, in the end I grew from this experience and just found joy in being able to share with them. They are so hungry for love and God. It rejuvenates me and helps me remember my purpose here.

Another opportunity I've had so far is too go door to door or should I say hut to hut and share Christ with people in town. Although I went in dragging my feet for this ministry I have to say it's been amazing how God is growing a deeper love in my heart for it. Through this ministry I've met one of my best friends here. Her name is Eva, she is 16 years old and runs a hair salon with her sisters Brenda and Dorcus. They are all orphans and although they weren't born to the same parents they insist they are sisters. They live together in the hair salon which is really a trailer about the size of your ordinary walk in closet. (No joke.) Eva has recently become a Christian and was so excited that I came to tell her and her sisters about Jesus. She tells me she wants to know all about Him and how to pray. She is so hungry for God. It's so exciting to meet someone who is searching for something that you can offer them. So I bought her and her sisters bibles. She told me this was the first gift she had ever received. Her thankfulness brought tears to my eyes. She calls me her best friend and I plan to visit her every day I can this summer and show her all that God has shown me.

Never have I felt more alive. Never have I felt more useful. I know my purpose in life. It's too do things such as these.  Please continue praying for me as I continue serving my God. All glory and power to Him forever and ever!

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, I am so glad you are enjoying your time there. I love hearing about your adventures! That is awesome that that girl wants to know more about Jesus! I am so proud of you and happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete