For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. - 2 Corinthians 4:6-7

Friday, June 24, 2011

A Daughter of the King

Sometimes it takes being taken out of your comfort zone to really experience God and how much He has blessed us. I don't even mean this is a material way. Although living in American I am blessed beyond compare. But the blessings I'm most grateful for are far beyond our material gaze. I am blessed by love from a heavenly father who provides for my needs in ways I never recognize. While in the busyness of America is it easy to forget that God is that one who sustains us, and the one from whom all our blessings come. It is only by Him and through Him that we have anything. I just want to thank God for His faithfulness even when my heart wasn't thankful. I want to thank Him for His unwavering love towards me when I was rebellious against Him. He loves me in spite of myself. In this love I can rest and find peace. My place with Him is secure, I am His beloved daughter and nothing can come between me and my inheritance.


This week a 9 year old girl named Bridget has stolen my heart. She said she wanted to have a picture of herself since she had never had one. Since I can't get photos developed here I decided to draw her a picture of herself. In my eyes it wasn't that great, but to her it meant everything. She recently told me that the kids stole her picture from her. It broke my heart. That's the problem with showing any kids in the boarding school special attention. They are all so hungry for love they get bitterly jealous when one kid gets more attention than them. Yesterday Bridget asked me if it was true that Mzungu's (white people); really did have a special power to live forever and never get sick and die. While this was funny it also made me very sad. To them we are super heroes. They think we have all the resources in the world to make their life better and rescue them. It puts a heavy weight on my shoulders to be something that I can't necessarily be. Please continue praying for me that I can show the kids love in a way that is helpful, impactful, life changing, yet realistic. 

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. - 1 John 4:10-11

2 comments:

  1. I think you forgot to mention that when you drew the picture, you thought Bridget was a guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,

    I wanted to take a moment to let you know what a pleasure it has been to read your updates. Your testimony about God's work in and around you is an encouragement. Thank you for sharing your journey! Praying for you today as your journey continues.

    Blessings to You,

    Leigh Ellen

    ReplyDelete